Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Finding Worth at what age


I was talking to a kid the other day, a kid that is engaged mind you, a 19 year old kid who is on the brink of entering his 20's and desperately trying to get his shit together before he's responsible for the well being of his wife. He's a drummer and he decided that if his band/studio isn't off the ground and/or famous by the time he's 24 then he's going to give up and get a "real" job. I chuckled to myself at the thought of 24 being an age where people NEED to have their shit together, which in his case might be true, but I told him. "Dude, 24 is still really young, I'm 23 and I'm still trying to figure out exactly what I want to be when I grow up." 

It's too bad that young adults are fed this Idea that you need a "back up" in case what you really want to do doesn't work out, I think it keeps people from giving their 100 %, and (in my case) spreads people too thin. But anyways. 24 isn't it, you can still work towards your goals after that point, although it's good to have goals. But I think the idea of having an age limit is unnecessary.  I mean my uncle didn't realize that he wanted to be a nurse until well into his 50's.

So here I am, an unemployed creative type in her 20's trying to find some value that she has to her community.  And because a persons worth is usually attributed to their job or their responsibility to their family or significant other...I'm at a loss. I mean, I have things to do, I've assigned myself tasks, I have an internship and musical and otherwise creative endeavors, but no set schedule, no boyfriend or car or even a bike or a 9 to 5 and a bank account that is less than pleasing.  So I find myself wondering how I can feel valued with out the things that I have been taught give me value as a young woman in society. 

So let's see, I suppose I am valued as a:

Daughter
Sister
Friend
Musician

....I guess

I guess what I'm trying to say is: I would never want to re-live my 20's. especially my early 20's. 

When I told the kid this he acted suprised saying, "Really?!"
I just said, "Yeah dude, you'll see. It's the age where you grow up and have no Idea what to do and realize nobody else has a clue either."

3 comments:

Clark Culbertson said...

Well said, valued daughter.

Andrew Varnon said...

You're valued as a cousin, too! And I don't know if this helps at all, but I'm 35, married, with a kid and I haven't solved the "What am I doing with my life?" question yet.

SayGoodniteGracie said...

What do the steaming brats have to do with any of this?