Monday, March 15, 2010

To Do: Funemployment


It's nice to finally have time to look at a "To Do" list and accomplish the things on that list. From Jan to the first week in March I was going going going from 8 am - 11 pm.

Wake up, work, class, rehearsal, rehearsal, go home, sleep repeat >

That all changed a little over a week ago when the play I was directing went up and closed, when the Theater season i was working for ended and the play I am acting in ended rehearsals as it opened. Not to mention I had spring break from classes last week. I'm experiencing something people all over the country can relate to, going from 60 - 0 in seconds. Now I find myself back at home in an all too familiar position, looking for work and trying to keep myself busy enough not to nap all day.

I'm lucky that I'm a creative type, because that means finding things to do isn't particularly difficult. I've started working on a painting, I'm looking to work more on writing children's books and plays, and there is no end to the musical projects I can involve myself in.

Some people aren't so lucky, some people are good at the thing you can get paid for, and not much else.

Some people don't enjoy listening to NPR all day as much as I do.

Some people don't have a fluffy dog to snuggle with when they get lonely.

Some people don't have 4 roommates to clean up after when there's nothing else to do.

So really I'm lucky...

So.

To Do:

Finish Reading Bone
Learn how to play a song on Ryan's pretty new Guitar
Finish that painting
Secure a new apartment
Do some of Darcie's Dishes for her
Apply for that Job Joe referred me to.
Clean my room
File state taxes
Put away excessive winter clothing

I filed my federal taxes today and I will disclose to you that last year I made a little less than 50% of what is considered the poverty Threshold for a single person under the age of 65. This made me pretty mopey because, especially with in the past two months, I have been worked to the bone. Then I thought about it and I talked to The-Big-Man-Upstairs and I realized how this number says nothing about how valued I am, this Number speaks volumes to the blessings I've received, and this number only proves the fact that God Will provide, for there is not one day where I went hungry or with out a place to sleep. I contribute that to my parents and to being part of a pretty amazing community.

Having a community is pretty important to Funemplyment I think.

Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? - Matthew 6:26

1 comment:

Mari said...

mmmm this was nice to read.

p.s. i would loooove to collaborate on a kiddos' book with my silly doodles; just say the word.