Monday, April 5, 2010

Rock and Roll model


An Excerpt from an Interview with Patti Smith from Interview Magazine.

A pretty accurate explanation of how the artist mind works.

SMITH: I can’t answer that. I mean, I know it got me. The question for me wasn’t if art got us. The question was, “Do we regret that?” I know art got us, because if art gets you, you never can be normal. You can never enjoy. You can’t go anywhere without trying to transform it, you know? You go into church to pray, and you start writing a story about being in a church praying. You’re always observing what you do. I noticed that when I was young going to parties. I could never lose myself in a party unless I was on the dance floor because I was always observing—observing or creating a mental scenario. That’s why performing is probably the truest thing I do socially, because everything is natural. There’s nothing fake in the way that my band performs. We’re always in the moment, communicating with people. I’m not the greatest in social situations. But onstage, my whole reason for being there is to serve, so I’m giving everything of myself that I know how.

Also might I add that according to this interview Patti didn't drink heavily or do drugs or smoke (although she pretended to). What a relief that you can still be a valued artist and not be associated with those things....

No comments: